June Stitching & Future Plans

My English Band Sampler (designed and taught by Di Fisher of Adelaide) is still receiving plenty of love and as a result she is coming along nicely. I have almost finished another band and when I say almost I mean I probably have another weeks worth of stitching still!

This the fourth band, it is being stitched on 35 count Permin linen with Au ver a Soie stranded silks, Needlepoint Inc and Gumnut Stars Silks and Gilt 3 Passing and Gilt Tambour threads.


This sampler is gorgeous. I have realised that I get bored easily but with this piece there are so many different stitches that I am really enjoying it. But don't be fooled, we joked in class that each area is stitched over about 3 times to complete each stitch and I think it might be the case.

I am hoping to have this beauty finished this year.

A Peacock, A Unicorn, A Badger from A Scarlet Letter is calling my name. Oh my, I want to stitch all of this and now! I love seeing the imagery appearing and I may or may not have ordered more similar patterns for the shop that I may or may not be planning on purchasing and stitching too. I am stitching this in the called for Au ver a Soie stranded silks and have just received a hank of the background silk so I can get that stitched!

 

I have put a serious embargo on purchases at the moment, remember how I talked about my overwhelming stash, well I feel I need to put a bit of a dent in it before I add any more to it.

In regards to that I pulled out a massive long term project that I have quietly been working on for the last couple of years. My casket. I was fortunate enough to be in a position to sign up to the Thistle Threads Cabinet of Curiosities classes. The first part I did in 2016/2017 and the second Stumpwork class I did following the first class. A couple of years later I purchased a double casket form from Tricia. The classes and casket were very expensive especially with the NZ to US exchange rate. I love, love, love this type of stitching and stalked it for a couple of years before signing up to it. I love going through the notes and looking at the historical pieces. It has been well worth the money I invested in it.

Double Casket Form from Thistle Threads

I plan to stitch the mirror from the Stumpwork class before my casket. The mirror is a design by Tricia of Thistle Threads and will build my skills before I start on my casket. I have a small start on the mirror from a couple of years ago. Hopefully it will end up looking like the image below as this is the design I will be working. I plan on pulling this out to be my large piece after I finish my English Band Sampler - so hopefully in 2024.


Stumpwork Mirror from Thistle Threads

My casket is another matter entirely. I want to design my own version. That takes time. I have slowly been designing it when the mood strikes. I will work on it for a day or two refining the designs and looking at how historical pieces are stitched. The design I want is slowly appearing, I expect it will take quite some time to get it to where I want it to be. There is no rush though.

I have my next Japanese class shortly. I am working two pieces currently. I have done a few days on Kara Hana my metal work piece and am happy with how it is progressing. I made a mistake on my Hiogi last time I stitched on it and last night I carefully removed that without damaging the under stitching which was a delicate operation. I have made the threads to restitch this area and am planning on doing that tonight.

Otherwise, I keep thinking about my Ann Tong Uffindell by Hands Across The Seas sampler. I would like to pick her up weekly and do a little stitching on her to keep her progressing. I would love to get her border flowers filled soon. I am stitching Ann in 100/3 silks by Au ver a Soie.

I have an almost finish! My The Rose and The Giant Pear by Hands Across The Seas Samplers is done bar one colour which I am waiting to come in with the next order. I have stitched this in 100/3 threads by Au ver a Soie.



Books! I love books!

This year I have been reading Alison Weir's fantastic book series Six Tudor Queens about Henry VIII's wives.

I am currently reading about Katherine Howard the fifth of his wives and have honestly loved this series. So well written and engaging. I have really enjoyed reading about their lives and seeing things from their perspective. When I was in Brisbane in February I started the second book in the series. I also managed to time it just right to see Six The Musical. Which of course is about the Queen's lives, I would love to see this again when I have finished reading about all six of them so I can catch all the little details about all of the Queens included in the show.

Finally, winter has arrived here in New Zealand for the last 3 or 4 days we've had frosty mornings, which for us means the day after will be stunning. Our evenings draw in earlier so plenty of stitching time at night to get cracking on my projects.


Comments