February Plans

It seems I am unable to sit and plan my goals for the year in one go. It overwhelms me too much so I am going to break them down into monthly goals at the moment to help me get through them!


I am officially back at work! I have lots of ideas in the pipeline. It can be fun to commit to a project and go all out. It tends to take me a little while to get to this point as I come up with the idea and need to percolate it a bit in my head so I know where I want to go and how I want to stitch a piece. It's a little bit like having an idea in my head which slowly comes into focus and I can see (in my mind) how it should look. Each bit coming into focus is usually another design element choice I have made or solved.




Next month I am teaching at the Wanaka Embroidery School, this year I am teaching the weekend before in Dunedin only as my class in Wanaka had insufficient numbers to proceed :( I have been spending a fair amount of time organising that. This year for a first ever I am working with a local artist I met on a drawing course we both attended last year to get my patterns printed onto the background fabric. I am super excited about this as sometimes the patterns are so detailed it's a real pain having to transfer them in class when all your're keen on doing is getting on with the stitching.

I have been making sure I have everything ordered for my kits which takes some time too. My closest Needlework Shop is a 3 hour return trip so it is a little bit far to go and at present they don't carry the Au Ver a Soie range of silks which I love to stitch with. I have to order those by phone or internet from the other end of the country. I find it very frustrating not to be able to look at silks together and lay them out on fabric I am thinking of using. So it can take me a few goes to get what I want and it usually takes at least a few days to get items to me.


Next week I am off to Brisbane for the week where I get to learn from the incredibly talented Margaret Lee. I am doing my Phase One embroidery piece for Japanese Embroidery. I know I am going to be totally challenged and am looking forward to it.

So before the fun of learning and stitching for a week I need to get some patterns written, sort out some up and coming Guild projects, organise my family and follow up on any teaching submissions I have been invited to submit for.

When I return I have a new project I hope to be well and truly into stitching and I can share some of my week of Japanese Embroidery learning with you.

Comments