We Three Kings - My First Finish for 2020

We Three Kings from the Crewel Work Company

In July 2018, Phillipa Turnbull from the Crewel Work Company in England taught at the biannual Associated New Zealand Embroiderers' Guild (ANZEG) Conference at Nelson and I was fortunate enough to secure a spot in this class.

From the moment I saw this piece I fell in love with it.
It is a reproduction of part of a much larger altar piece that is held in the English Embroiderers' Guild collection.  Stitched in 1650.
Reproduction of the whole altar front from c. 1650 - Crewel Work Company Photo

Phillipa (left) & friend laying out reproduced piece to assemble
Crewel Work Company Photo
This was the first time Phillipa had taught this piece and it was new to the market.

It is stitched on beautiful linen that Phillipa's company get woven for their kits and it is stitched with Renaissance wool.

I do not use wool to stitch that often but this thread is beautiful and it is a gorgeous red colour.

When at Conference Phillipa had a display of her pieces.  Some original and others reproductions based on the original pieces on display.  I saw the complete reproduced altar front and it is stunning (see the photo above). I would love to stitch the whole thing, although I am not sure I would have anywhere in my house to display it! Or in fact if I could dedicate the time to such a large piece.

So I started mine in 2018 and quietly hoped to have it stitched by Christmas 2018.  I thought I was probably about half way through when I had to stop and stitch other more pressing pieces.

My view in class

My stitching in front with the instruction booklet and class sample behind

 The top is a photo of my work in class and the lower photo is approximately two weeks later my piece with Phillipa's sample behind it.

I worked a little on it after this but didn't pick it up properly until the end of 2019.  As I had missed the 2018 Christmas deadline I moved it to the following Christmas.  Again stitching I had to do took precedence over stitching I wanted to do. So I didn't manage to pick this up again until Boxing Day (26th December) 2019 and I had missed another Christmas.

Again I discovered what a joy it is to work when you get your eye in,  I stitched as much as possible aided by the fact that the Christmas period was cold and miserable outside - not ideal in New Zealand when it is midsummer, but very helpful to get stitching done without feeling guilty about sitting inside!

My newest Goal: Finish by the end of 2019!
Below is how I finished up on the evening of December 31st, 2019...
Finish as of 31st December 2019
I came super close to finishing at this point, but really there were areas I wanted to restitch and bits I wanted to double check so I ended up taking the time I needed to get this piece finished to a standard I was happy with.  I finished it officially on the 2nd of January.


What I love about this piece:

It was an easy to stitch piece with ten different stitches in total.  I already knew how to stitch all but one of them.
The instructions are clear and well set out so you can follow them easily.
It is a reproduction of a c.1650 piece - I love this time period and am a sucker for stitching from this time.
I worked mine with heavy seeding stitch to get more detail into the details and it makes some of the shading stand out amazingly.
It's finished for my 2020 Christmas.
This is my first finish of 2020!
The fabric and wool to work this piece are beautiful to stitch on/with.


Mary, Joseph & baby Jesus
Three Kings

I would totally recommend this piece if you are looking for a reproduction piece or even just a beautiful embroidery to stitch.  The kit comes with all you need to complete this piece and you can even purchase a hoop if you don't already have one to work it in.

Finished 2nd January, 2020
In the future I have another kit by The Crewel Work Company to work.  I saw it when Phillipa was touring New Zealand and I had to have it.  I will be starting on it as soon as I can clear some space and get stitching.  Keep an eye out for my Bird on a Bough piece that I will be making.  I'll let you know about it in an upcoming blog.  Check out The Crewel Work Companies website there's plenty of loveliness there to tempt you.  https://www.crewelwork.com/


Comments