Tui Ridge

We're lucky here in New Zealand to have amazing little stitching weekends and schools that have been running for years and years.

I am lucky in that I am getting to attend some of these events all around the country and share my love of embroidery and my designs when I teach at these events.

My view of the Southern Alps heading to the North Island.

Unfortunately most of these weekends have been cancelled this year due to Covid-19, but last weekend one managed to go ahead.

In the Bay of Plenty area, between Tauranga and Rotorua lies a very cool camp venue that has lots of cabins and some large communal rooms.  This wonderful place is called Tui Ridge.  (A Tui is a beautiful native New Zealand Bird with the most gorgeous feathers and bird call). 

Tūī landing on a bush  Image: Stewart Baird | ©


The reception, food area and my class were in this building.

My bedroom was the one closest to us.

This event hosted four teachers and approximately eighty people for the weekend.  Classes, accommodation and food were onsite.  The sense of community and friendship was evident throughout the weekend and I got the opportunity to meet and talk with many wonderful women who all share the same passion. There were a couple of shops set up so a fair amount of retail therapy also occurred over the weekend!

Needle Nannie and my name badge
My finished pillow, the kit linen and the book that inspired this design. 

Kits packed and ready for their stitchers.

I taught my May Morris Inspired cushion design.  My class were a lovely group of ladies and we had fun discussing May and other stitchy things.  I introduced them to the beautiful Au Ver a Soie Soie Perlee, which is a gorgeous silk perle thread that is silky smooth to work and has the most beautiful glow to it.

The Soie Perlee are the threads on the gorgeous little wooden spools.

Stitching a stem. Look at her lovely top isn't it gorgeous!

The ladies hard at work.

They all worked very well and did a fabulous job on their stitching.  

View of Mount Maunganui as I flew home.
A very well known land mark in Tauranga.

I loved spending time with them and can't wait to see them and their pieces again. I hope to be invited back again some time and share another special weekend with them at Tui Ridge.



Comments